Go Shopping Bees: Food and Drink : Do You Have a Favorite Jelly, Jam, Preserves or Fruit Spread?

Searching for Something?

If you don't find what you're looking for here, SEARCH THE ENTIRE WEB. Thanks for visiting.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Food and Drink : Do You Have a Favorite Jelly, Jam, Preserves or Fruit Spread?

Do you have a favorite fruit topping for your toast? In the house that I grew up, there were only two choices: Welch's grape jelly or Smucker's strawberry preserves. That's what my mom bought. Since she was in charge of grocery shopping, that's what we ate!




So for most of my young life, it never occurred to me to eat something different. Until … one day, my mom brought home grape jam instead of grape jelly. It was still the brand name Welch's but it was jam instead of jelly. I don't know why! Maybe there was no more jelly on the store shelf. It was a mystery. But whatever the reason … we all went “WOW! It was amazing!” We kids made an incredible discovery. Jam spreads much smoother than jelly! It tastes just as good with peanut butter. Why didn't mom always buy this?



Well! All of the siblings, my sister, my brothers and me, decided to unite and requested that mom buy jam henceforth and forever more! She complied. My mom was easy! (Sometimes.)

Fast forward to my life as a young adult. Got a job working for the federal government and was sent on an official assignment to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Usually, I ate breakfast in the hotel before leaving for work. I ordered a typical American breakfast: bacon, eggs, and toast. At this particular hotel, they had a basket of assorted jellies and jams on the table. Included in the assortment was pineapple preserves.

My life was changed forever!

Those pineapple preserves made the toast tastes like I was having a tropical party in my mouth! It got so that I looked forward to having breakfast every morning!


So now, if anybody asks what's my favorite jelly, jam, preserves or fruit spread?

Pineapple Preserves. What else?!

* * *

Links of interest:






*
This content was first published at Literacy Base, September 7, 2016.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment